Monday 24 August 2015

Funky Florals

Hi everyone!
Juicy colors, a variety of delicious textures, a super clever background technique and so much more!
Rebecca is presenting her new beautiful canvas and sharing a tutorial that will surely inspire you to create something special too.



Hello Everyone,
Rebecca here with you today to share with you all a rather bright little number.
This mixed media canvas has been created with a LARGE amount of what I call leftovers and recyclables. These upcycles combined with a lot of beautiful Finnabair Beads, Mechanicals and Art Ingredients produced my very bright and vibrant mixed media flower garden. 


I think we are all probably a little guilty of hoarding a few sheets of these in our craft stash, let's put them to some good use. As you can see they can create a beautifully different and textured background. 


To create my background I randomly placed a combination of letters and numerals all over my canvas, paying absolutely no attention to direction or placement (upside down or sideways, random is best!).
Once the canvas was completely covered, a thick coat of Art Basics Heavy Black Gesso was applied. As I wanted to create the look of a little flower garden I blended my colour from green (grass) through to blue (sky).
My choice of paints were Silks (African Jade, Bolivian Blue, Teal Zircon) and Lumiere (Pearlescent Blue, Halo Blue Gold Metallic Olive Green). 


Although a lot of paint had already been applied, I knew it still needed just that little bit more razzle dazzle.
To achieve this effect I sprinkled very very lightly some Art Ingredients Mica Power in Blue and Green. Spritzing with a water bottle and watching the shimmery mica run between all the letters and numerals. 


To frame my entire canvas border you will see beautiful Art Ingredients Glass Beads in Peacock Green and Turquoise.
Scattered and adhered between all the letters and numerals if you look closely you will find Art Ingredients Micro Beads in Bronze.
Plaited scrap material anchors down my lucky charm which has been combined with a hanging pendant.
Other title work on the canvas has been stamped from the beautiful Now is the Right Time and Dream On Prima Cling Stamps which has been backed with more scrap material.


Below you will see my flower stem and leaves have also been created with scrap material, rusty nails edge my boarders and have been wrapped with copper metallic thread.
Look closely at what else you can see, I did not notice this at the time of photographing but a bee had decided to land in the flower garden. ;-)


My two flowers were created with a combination of tattered flowers from my stash, hand made twisted rope flower and Mechanicals. Adorning both my Mechanicals you will see Art Ingredients Micro Beads in Grass and Blush.




Many thanks for looking my friends, as always I wish you all a very happy and creative day.

~ Rebecca ~


Products used:


13 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE the background...what a brilliant idea!

SewPaperPaint said...

Such a cool process and great collage!

Mac Mable said...

Love the colour combination, very vibrant, fun and the 'Bee' definitely finishes it off! x Great inspiration.

Unknown said...

Ahhh Rebecca - just in love with your creation. The background is soooo INCREDIBLE but my fav part are those tiny WONDERFUL pops of color... Wow. j.

Sanderijn de Bruin said...

Beautiful Rebecca!Full of spirit, rich colors and flower power!!! I like the way you create these flowers, such a clever idea!And the background! AWESOMENESS

Sue Jones said...

ohh i LOVE LOVE that idea of using up the letters! I will be having a go at doing something similar- Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathy Bradley said...

Wow, your canvas is beautiful and I love the fact that you made it into a wonderful flower garden. I love all the textures, beads and fabrics.

BlackDamaskDesigns said...

Bex, love your piece as alwYs gorgeous work!!

Kassy said...

Seriously love the texture and colors!! This is a great piece.

TangledBlueRose said...

So gorgeous and so many things to see and enjoy. I adore the colors and wonderful whimsy. Thanks for sharing :)
~kim

Unknown said...

Beautiful colours!

Unknown said...

Oooh, I love this one!!! I love all of the scraps used for the flowers and word backings...

Xox, Courtney

sara j said...

Totally, completely, 100% in love with this!!!! You have inspired me. Getting up right now to rid myself of all those funky alphabets and create a garden as we turn to fall in Alaska. Thank you!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...